I grew up in a traditional Indian household where coconut oil was extensively used. It was one of the main tempering ingredients which gave our cuisine a distinct flavour. And if you wanted to give the dish a strong and rich ‘coconutty’ flavor, all you did was add an extra dash of the oil as topping. Of course, there would be no tempering. Else the coconut flavour would be disguised by the other ingredients.
Apart from the kitchen shelves, the oil also occupied a pride of place on many dressers. It was the magic potion for all our beauty concerns. Be it hair fall, itchy scalp, dull hair, dry skin, sunburn, eczema … whatever have you. And we didn’t have to worry one bit about side affects as it was pure, natural and chemical free. Besides it was far cheaper than the popular store products.
But coconut oil isn’t just for grown-ups. Many are not aware that the oil, with its anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, is highly beneficial for babies too. It’s perfectly safe and has an amazing number of uses that you didn’t know. As a young mother, when I used to be on the look out for alternative remedies that were safe for my children, coconut oil came in very handy. Here a few uses that you may have never heard of.
- Coconut oil is a great remedy for diaper rashes – especially yeast infection rash. Applying coconut oil between the and diaper can help prevent diaper rashes.
- Coconut oil can keep the skin soft and moisturized. You can use it to massage baby instead of branded lotions and oil
- Is your baby’s unruly hair setting you on the edge? Just rub a few drops of coconut oil to set it right. You’ll notice it will bring some shine too.
- Newborn meconium is stubborn and difficult to clean. Just a few drops of coconut oil on a cotton swab can make cleaning a breeze.
- Cradle cap is a common problem among new born babies. Instead of using harsh creams, coconut oil can come to your rescue to get rid of the yellow scaliness.
- The best way to deal with pesky lice problems is with coconut oil.
- Coconut oil can soothe eczema infection in babies
- Thrush problems in babies can be treated using coconut oil
- The antibacterial properties in coconut oil make it the perfect solution to eliminate baby acne.
- The lauric acid present in coconut oil helps heal cuts and stings naturally
- Coconut oil is a natural decongestant when mixed with extra virgin olive oil
- Rub a little coconut oil on baby’s gums to relieve teething problems
For Nursing Moms
- Having a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil can increase milk supply naturally.
- The anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties in coconut oil can help strengthen the immune system post-pregnancy
- Coconut oil can act as a natural laxative and curb constipation problems significantly
- Hair fall is a common post pregnancy problem. Coconut oil which is a great conditioner can help fix this
- Coconut oil is an effective natural remedy to treat cracked nipples
Rubbing coconut oil on the expanded belly can help reduce ugly stretch marks