When the mercury dips can viral flu, colds and coughs can be far behind? The winter doesn’t spare anyone; more so babies – who are easily prone to infections and diseases. If only there was a guaranteed way to keep them safe during the cold months.
Keeping your baby healthy during the winter months can pose a huge challenge especially if he’s been exposed to someone who is sick. No matter, how much you pull the child away, the air borne viruses can strike and infect the child even if he is within a distance of 4 to 6 feet from the affected person.
Winter is also when baby’s immunity tends to weaken due to a rise in viral and bacterial infections. So does that mean there’s no escape for baby from falling ill?
Well, while it could be inevitable, taking adequate measures could go a long way in protecting your baby. After all, prevention is the best cure. Here are a few steps you could take to keep your baby as healthy as possible this winter.
Tips to protect your baby this winter
- Breastfeeding is one of the best – and natural – ways to build baby’s immunity; it helps baby fight infections easily and faster too!
- Keep your baby away from sick people. Most winter diseases are airborne and spread easily through direct contact. So it goes without saying, that it is important not to expose baby to infected people.
- Keep your baby warm buy wrapping him in adequate winter clothes. Be sure to protect his ears and cover his feet when you go out of the house. At the same time don’t overdress the baby and make him uncomfortable
- Don’t forget to pump him up with the essential nutrients and vitamins that would help him fend off infections.
- While bathing baby do make sure that the temperature difference in the bathroom and bedroom is optimum. A big temperature difference can effect baby and could trigger off a cold or cough.
- A well-balanced diet is important for baby to fight infections and improve immunity.
- While bathing baby, make sure the environment is warm. Keep doors and windows closed to avoid cold breeze from getting in.
- Pay attention to hygiene. Before wants to carry baby Insist they wash their hands thoroughly before they do so.
- Whenever possible, snuggle up to baby and keep him warm. This will not only keep baby cozy and comfortable but it’s a great way to bond with the baby!