LOTS OF MOVEMENT
In the 14th week of pregnancy, you’re now officially in the second trimester. Many women find relief in this semester as they are rid of issues like morning sickness and fatigue. So you can look forward to a more energetic and peppier you! For those of you still battling with these don’t despair. It’s just a matter of few days, before you’re done with them.
Baby’s Developments at Week 14
The 14 week fetus is the size of a lemon now, measuring 3 ½ inches and weighing about 40-45 grams. This is a week of big developments where a lot of movements are seen. Your baby can make faces using his facial muscles. He can smile, frown, squint and open and close his jaws! Unfortunately, you can’t feel any of these movements yet, as they are still too tiny. However, it can be seen on an ultrasound.
- The baby’s body is now growing faster than the head.
- The hand is stretching as well and soon be proportionate to the rest of the body.
- The neck too is getting longer to support the head and keep it steady.
- Hair growth continues on the eyebrows and the head.
- Your baby’s ears are almost in position now, although they are still set a bit low on the head.
- Internally, your baby’s skeletal system continues to develop.
- The kidneys are producing urine and the spleen starts to produce red blood cells
- The baby is making lots of movements with his or her head, mouth, arms, wrists, hands, legs, and feet. These movements are smooth and fluid unlike the jerky movements in the previous trimester.
Week 14 – Pregnancy Symptoms
As you fuel the growth of your baby, you will look and feel more and more pregnant. You may notice a tiny bump appearing and realize that you won’t be able to hide the news of your pregnancy for too long.
- As exhaustion is on the wane, you’ll have sudden surge of energy
- Your appetite too is better and hunger pangs can strike you very often. There’s no reason to feel guilty but just be sure to eat healthy snacks and avoid fatty food.
- As the uterus continues to grow, some women may experience dull/sharp back and abdominal pain, caused by the stretching of the supporting ligaments
- Mood swings are common. You may feel on top of the world one minute, and the next minute you could be down in the dumps
- You will continue to gain weight steadily from now on till the remainder of your pregnancy
- If you wear contact lenses, chances are they may not fit you. There is no reason to panic. Pregnancy changes the shape of your eyes. So, just shift back to your glasses if you have powered contacts
Things to keep in mind
- Since things have eased up and you’re feeling more relaxed, it’s a great time to get back into your exercise routine. Yoga, swimming and walking are great options.
- Include more proteins in your diet – nuts and dairy products – as they are essential nutrients for your baby.
- If traveling to work involves driving, make sure to avoid the bumpy stretches.
- Though the risk of miscarriage is less in the second trimester, its better to be safe than sorry.
- Stay as healthy as you can and include immunity boosting foods. During pregnancy, your immune system is suppressed to keep the foetus healthy. Stay away from sick people and avoid sharing food or drinks.
Tip for Pregnancy Week 14
- The bones in baby's body are beginning to harden now with calcium deposits. You will need to increase your calcium intake in this week, because the next 2 months will be the time dedicated for bone development.
- Its easy to catch viral and bacterial infections (cold and flu) at this stage. So always keep a hand sanitizer handy and avoid sharing food and drinks.